Six PhD students from the Department of Economics at the University of Alberta will give 7-minute talks about their dissertation research. We will leave time for both formal questions and informal conversations after. The event will be facilitated by Rick Szostak, Chair of the Department and Past President of ESNA.
These are their dissertation topics:
- Topic Area I: Energy and Environmental Economics
- Topic Area II: Demographics and Inequality
- Topic Area III: Macroeconomics
- Boris Ortega Moreno is from Chile. In his project, he analyzes how the presence of hydroelectric projects affects salaries, unemployment, and health outcomes at the county level in Chile.
- Bonnie Luo is from China. Her research interest is in energy and environmental economics. She is currently studying the impact of renewable energy integration into the electricity market on retail electricity prices.
- Kyle Phong is from Surrey B.C. He is currently examining the role of unions in wage inequality across the distribution in Canada.
- Zi Fang is from China. She examines the impacts of early education subsidies on household expenditure in the Chinese province of Henan.
- Fang Li is from China. He is currently studying economic shocks.
- Hesheng Xing is from China. He examines whether an aging consumer base squeezes our business.
- Liyuan Xuan is from China. In his project, he examines the effect of air pollution on the productivity of Canadian tree planters.